Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Dutiful Eater

Dutiful eater, I cook it for thee,
Sauces and baked goods are waiting for thee;
Sounds of the rude world, heard in the day,
Lull'd by the stovetop have all pass'd away!

(My apologies to lyricist Stephen Foster...)

There is a great little blog post in the NY Times (my favorite news source) about the top 11 foods we should be eating for our health. I want to make some dishes using these items as the main ingredient -- or at least the main flavoring, since one is a seed and one is a spice.

It will be a bit tough for me to do some of these. I have never liked cinnamon, but perhaps there is a recipe out there that uses other spices as well that I can use to mask that particular flavor. I know I can't get my husband to eat sardines, no matter how artfully I present them. And pumpkin seeds are hard to get fresh, unless I'm willing to carve a pumpkin (and it's not yet the season for that). But I'm going to try. If you know of any great recipes for the 11 foods on this list, please email them to me!

3 comments:

foodstuffs said...

They say drink your pomegranate:

1oz vodka
1/2 oz pimm's
1/2 oz pomegranate juice
juice of 1/4 of a lime

http://polinator.blogspot.com/2008/07/new-drink.html

also pumpkin seeds.

ST said...

3 quick canned pumpkin ideas:
- Pumpkin oatmeal
- Pumpkin Power Muffins
- Almost instant creamy pumpkin soup

Power muffins are already on my blog. I'll post oatmeal and soup soon.

teresa t said...

I have a pumpkin custard recipe somewhere...meantime, I'll email you the directions for a delicious swiss chard oshitashi.